Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Project Cornet

     In all of it's glory, this transposing Conn cornet was full of excitement!  Well... As exciting as one can be...  The learning that occuered was a treat, anyway!

The scent of this ol' Conn was... prominent


The transposition slide that brings it to the key 'A'

     After inspection, a buckled bell, stuck valves, stuck tuning slides, a missing draw nob, and lots-o-dents was the diagnosis.

It's not a circle... But at least it's not a triangle

Old fashioned knuckle dents.  Still made like they used to be

Before I could do the full chem flush, I discovered a stuck hinge rod in the main tuning slide waterkey... A screwdriver, some Corrossion Cracker, and a center punch later, nothing happened.

One of the battles in this war

     To get it out, I was forced to drill into the hinge rod and counter drill it out!






The counter-drilling never happened due to the breaking of the hinge rod, right before the threads 
That seemed to shake the threads free enough to allow me to unscrew the rest via pliers

     After a well needed chem flush, dent work commenced.  I started with one I could use a technique that was new to me.


I missed getting a picture before I soldered the piece onto it... 

It does accent the rich contour of the dent, almost as though they were made for each other

An extremely 'high-tech' process!  Seems primal, but effective!

With a 'ping,' so lifts a bit of the dent

After two more rounds and some hammering, it's round again!

     Onward to tackling the buckle, I managed to do this relatively quick... Thank you extensive work on the trombone bell

It stands on it's own!

      Many more tales of dent work followed these and many mistakes were made and fixed, and forcing much learning to be had... So goes the tale; crawling, walking, tripping, and falling, only to do it again.  The stories we create for ourselves...


To be continued... 

No comments:

Post a Comment